"" From Now Till 'I Do'...: First time experiences

First time experiences

I’m not going to lie to you, I am on watch.

Since reaching 37 weeks (38 tomorrow), every little ache, twitch or pain I feel now, I’m like ‘is this the start of labour’?

The thing about going through your first pregnancy is that you have no idea what to expect in any aspect. I am constantly texting my friends who have been through this before to get their advice and guidance because quite frankly I haven’t got a clue what is going to happen next or when. The whole aspect of the unknown is slightly scary. You just have no control. Whilst I know everyone’s experience is different, it’s nice to hear other people’s experiences. [Readers who have given birth – did you get any warning beforehand?]

Last week at our antenatal appointment, the midwife suspected that the baby was breech and wanted me to go for an urgent scan. At 37 weeks it the last thing you want to hear but off we went, praying that all would be well. Personally I wasn’t 100% convinced with her diagnosis given that all the kicks I had been feeling were at the top, but hey it is better to be safe, plus we get another opportunity to see our sweet little girl again. Thankfully the scan was fine and she was confirmed as cephalic (or ‘head down’ in layman’s language) and hubs and I could breath a sigh of relief.

Back to waiting.

As I get closer to our due date, the first question people always ask my husband is ‘has your wife gone into labour yet?’. Any time we call a family member, that is their first thought and we often have to spend the first 5-10 seconds reassuring them that nothing has happened yet and when it does they will be the first to know!

Physically I am feeling it. I have evenings when I just feel blah! When I just want my body back and the ability to turn in the night without it being an Olympic feat. I seriously have to psych myself up for those night turns. I know that once she is here, I will miss the self containment I have now, but it’s tough. The human body never ceases to amaze me. Now that I am no longer working my wardrobe consists of three items which are on constant rotation, due to the fact that they are the only comfortable items I own right now!

Hubby has been great throughout it all though. Reassuring me when I have my body image crisis meltdowns, giving me massages and foot rubs when I am tired, helping around the house, putting on my shoes lol! He has been a real trooper and I appreciate everything he is doing. I know he too is anxious to meet our little one, as this journey feels like it has been going on forever.

Second time round, I’m hoping the experience will be a whole lot more relaxing!

2 comments:

  1. i felt exactly the same way before I had princess..and i hated getting all those calls- "is baby here yet?" i know it was out of concern but it gets annoying afterwards..

    you'll be fine I am sure.. God is with u, for u and in u. Everything will be alright :) Labour that is!

    If I could do it, considering I can get panicked easily, I know u can with God by ur side

    to answer ur question- no warning till i started contracting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my dear... please try to relax! And, seriously, enjoy the rest you are getting now. You will need the strength and focus in the coming weeks. Sending you and baby girl healthy prayers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...