"" From Now Till 'I Do'...: Peter Rabbit + the joy of reading

Peter Rabbit + the joy of reading

peter rabbit

Alas! The first week of January is over! The snow never fell and the sun continues to shine on a daily basis. I love this unpredictable English winter! I think she knew my MIL was arriving soon and didn't want the adjustment from Nigerian temperatures to be too harsh!

So my favourite thing right now is my Kindle. I've had it a month or so and really love the flexibility it brings when it comes to reading. I've always been a bit of a bookworm and enjoy settling down with a good book. Before I discovered blogs I read a LOT of books to the point that when I was 11, I received an award at school for taking the most books out of the school library! I enjoyed nothing more than hanging out at the central library reading through the latest arrivals.

Fast forward to the generation of my 15 year old siblings and they often ask me, 'how did you do your homework without Google'. I laugh and respond by reminding them that there are places called libraries and books called encyclopaedias which took the place of the internet + Wikipedia back then (am I showing my age!). Either way I believe reading is an amazing and will always actively encourage it.

When I was a little girl my parents gave me with the Beatrix Potter story collection; the story of Peter Rabbit and his friends. I think there are 21 books in the full collection and they gave me the first 14. I loved reading those little books and cherished them. Recently I was tidying up and came across a bag where I stored childhood memorabilia and found all the books, still intact. Now that we're having children of our own, I plan to pass them down and hope they have the same enjoyment I had from them. Other favourite childhood authors of mine include Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl and Judy Blume.

One of the things I love about the Kindle is being able to download samples of a book, so that you can read the first chapter or so and see if you like it. Right now on my Kindle I am reading Love & Marriage by Emerson Eggerichs.  Last week I came across a book called 'Kingdom Parenting' by Myles Munroe. I downloaded the sample and really enjoyed it, so will look to purchase and read once I've finished Love + Respect.

What are you reading right now and what were your favourite childhood books?

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read bedtime stories to my little one. With her bedroom set the bookcase was optional, but for me it was a must so we got it. I've already started stocking it with lots of books. I need to go to my parents house and pick up some of my childhood books to add to the collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Judy Blume!!! I was always engrossed in her books too. I was a huge fan of Ann M. Martin's Baby-Sitter's Club, I think I read every book in the collection, lol. Awwww memories boi. :)
    Oh and who wrote 'Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry'? Whoever it was I loved that author and book too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Niki - 'Are you there God, it's me Margaret' - Judy Blume classic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...