"" From Now Till 'I Do'...: The real job description

The real job description

I’ve just finished reading a fantastic book called Feminine Appeal: 7 Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother by Caroline Mahaney and it got me thinking about marriage and God’s purpose for wives.

Feminine Appeal

The book is based on Titus 2 and the seven virtues that women should possess. Which are to…

love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands’ (Titus 2: 4-5)

A job description if you may.

The Contemporary English Version says:

Each of the younger women must be sensible and kind, as well as a good homemaker, who puts her own husband first. {emphasis mine}

Many times I know what is right but don’t quite want to admit it and this book really challenged me about my attitude to certain aspects of my role as a wife. The two things that stuck out for me were ‘good homemaker’ {the bible actually affirms our responsibilities in our homes} and ‘puts her own husband first’. After God, my husband is my number one responsibility and priority.

As a wife there is this constant desire for perfection; house in order, dinner on the table, laundry all complete, always submissive but the honest truth is that I’m not there yet. I am very much a work in progress.

However, everyday I pray for grace.

Grace to always respectfully submit.

Grace to accept situations and react appropriately.

Grace to say ‘no’ and maintain the right priorities.

Grace to admit when I am wrong, humble myself and apologise.

She is strong and graceful, as well as cheerful about the future. Her words are sensible, and her advice is thoughtful.

She takes good care of her family and is never lazy.

Her children praise her, and with great pride her husband says, "There are many good women, but you are the best!" {Proverbs 31: 25-28}

Grace to ultimately allow God to refine me into the woman He wants me to become.

That is my heart.

5 comments:

  1. "As a wife there is this constant desire for perfection... but the honest truth is that I’m not there yet. I am very much a work in progress."

    We are all works in progress, aren't we? I know Godly wives who have been married for many years and they too will readily admit that it continues to be a work in progress. We all need his grace to be all he wants us to be, and it starts by submitting to the one who made us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with LD. Would love to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like ages since I stopped by here.
    Sounds like a very good book,one which I would enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish this book were given a different title. Biblical Womanhood is NOT defined by "wife" and "Mother". Those two roles are tools used to accomplish God's purpose for some women along with a few other tools but they are not God's purpose for women. Don't let your identity be defined by your marriage or motherhood but in the gospel of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Niki I see ur point. But I think biblical womanhood is defined by your role as a wife and a woman because that is our calling. In addition,I think your role has an individual in society is defined by godly principles.

    I believe a women primary purpose is to be a joined with her husband and be his helper.We know what JESUS teachings are on this Mark 10 1-12


    My point is the title is fine and its aimed at married women of God that are wants to develop their roles even more and fulfill purpose. (Please I am not attacking ur comment or opinion, just elaborating).

    Note: WIVES AND MOTHERS are fundamental roles in God purpose. (I don't know about u, but I have a strong desire to help my husband fulfill purpose and bring forth generations that will carry on with the gospel of truth) Obviously, I will still do my part as an individual but I know that God plans for me contains wife role and mother hood Geneis 2:23-24, Duet 28:4, Genesis 1:28, Proverbs 31).

    Society makes us think differently.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...