"" From Now Till 'I Do'...: Sweet Mother #2

Sweet Mother #2

On Monday, Mrs O talked about dealing with your in-laws. It was a great post which talked about the challenges and issues one faces when interacting with your second family.

Mother in Laws…it’s a mixed bag. Some people have great relationships, others don’t. The transition on both sides is an interesting one, but as Mrs O said on Monday’s post - his/her mother, is now your mother too.

I found this great list on Engaged Marriage on 8 great things that come along with a MIL.

  1. Your spouse. I’m serious. She was 50% responsible for producing the love of your life.
  2. The inside scoop on all your spouse’s high school boyfriends and girlfriends – along with the affirmation that you are way better.
  3. The source of all your spouse’s favourite dishes and comfort foods. And she’ll teach you, too!
  4. Another point of view from someone who is older, wiser, and has already dealt with any hitches and roadblocks you are facing as a married couple.
  5. A perma-babysitter if and when you have kids.
  6. An excuse to get your partner to finally clean the kitchen floor: “But honey, your mother is coming!”
  7. Insight into why your spouse is the way he or she is. Face it: she’s known that person longer than you.
  8. Someone who is constantly concerned if you’ve had enough to eat, are warm enough, and if you had a good night’s sleep. It sounds overwhelming – but it’s actually really nice.

Any more you can think of?

I thank God for Mr E’s mum. She truly is a wonderful women who has welcomed me into the family with open arms and I look forward to developing our relationship as time goes on.

How is the relationship with your MIL? How have you nurtured it?

Signature

6 comments:

  1. Not sure if I have anything to add but the truth is that I have learnt from this.

    Thank Chichi :)

    - LDP

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I like #2. My MIL is much calmer and quieter than my mom. She's the bomb! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nos. 8 & 9 (or is it 7&8? the last two anyway!) are squarely blessings of my MIL. There are quite a few personality traits that I've always wondered about Bolaji but then we'd be over for lunch and dinner with them and she'd tell this story of how his Dad does the same thing and I have an "aha" moment. :-) This really helps to understand my hubby better and where he's coming from.

    And now the last one, I'm kinda enjoying the care and concern they shower me, i.e both my MIL and FIL whenever I'm sick, or have a toothache or just a bad day (they're on my Blackberry yikes!) It's nice to have someone go outta there way to make sure you're alright. I always pray about this and that it stays this way forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when ladies say positive things about their mother in law.....Go Girl.

    P.S: I HAVE AN AWESOME MOTHER INLAW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm far away from a getting a MIL but these are def. great pointers to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was really insightful. I encourage single women to start praying now concerning your relationship with future mother in-law, don't just focus on the exterior of your future hubby but put EVERYTHING into prayer, not only on what you want out of a mother-inlaw but also on how you can be the best daughter in-law for your future second parents. Ask God to build up your character and start practising tolerance, selflessness and unconditional love on people around you. Alot of women are always scared about their future second parents but really if you start praying for such things now, there really is nothing to be fearful of. Also remember that you may become a mother in-law one day so treat others as you would also like to be treated. Golden rule, Matthew 7:12.
    God's purpose for us is that we be conformed to the image of His Son Jesus Christ and marriage is one of His means of doing so you will not have the perfect mother-inlaw because no.1 no one is perfect except Jesus and no.2 if God gave you the perfect mother-inlaw (and spouse) then how would you grow? How would you learn patience, endurance, tolerance etc? How would we depend on God???

    ooooo Chichi not long now, i'm excited for you. xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...