"" From Now Till 'I Do'...: The 'Mane' attraction

The 'Mane' attraction

So I've been thinking about wedding hair, well actually hair in general and what to do with mine. My hair is relaxed at the moment and has been for the past two years.

Prior to that, it was natural, after I underwent the 'big chop' at University. For those of you who don't know, the 'big chop' is when you decide to go natural after having relaxed or permed hair and rather than transitioning (which takes ages), you chop off all the relaxed bits and let your natural hair grow out.

I honestly couldn't remember what my natural hair looked like and it was so ravaged by relaxing and poor maintenance, I literally went back to my roots, with no regrets about how I would look. You see that's the great thing about University, people just accept you for who you are!

I kept my hair natural for three years, wearing weaves and braids to keep it manageable, often confusing people at work with the variety of styles!

Over the years I have learnt a lot about hair care, particularly around the right products to use and how to take care of my hair properly, whether it is natural, relaxed, braided or weaved. Whilst it hasn't always been easy, patience is key and I am pleased to see improvements in my hair all the time.

Some of the things I have personally learnt:
- you can wash you hair more than once a week
- ingredients such as petroleum or mineral oil, do nothing for your hair except coat it with product (Lusters Pink Cream - you know who you are!)
- products work differently on different people
- too tight braids are bad
- bonding glue is bad
- natural oils are good
- regular trims are good
- co-washing is good
- hair does not need to be 'retouched' exactly on week 6 (I have gone up to 12 weeks)
- you should always wrap your hair at night (can't promise I do this religiously)
- sometimes it's good to air dry (but not when you're going to work the same day!)
- a good hairdresser is hard to find, but once you do find them, they will be your friend for life

I thought for good measure (and for laughs) a trip down memory lane was in order. Check out some of my hairstyles from days gone by.


Simple is best
First visit to the Big Smoke
Not really hair, but a cute pic!
Rockin the braids - Aged 7 with sis
I think I had braids here and then cut them
Braids again
My first 'bob'
The day I met 'Yaki'
Hair extensions ('extensions' being the operative word!)
The Big Chop!
My Afro!
Graduation canerows!
2007...
Holiday braids which I rocked a lot post holiday
My friend
My first and last encounter with bangs
The 'poof' and back to the 'creamy crack '
2008...
Super sleek extensions 
My Rhianna inspired look
2009...

25th Birthday

4 comments:

  1. How did I miss this post?!?!
    Love it! I love the bangs, grad.pic, Rihanna look, afro, and the kinky straw curls!
    I have a site/blog to give you and I'm sure it will be helpful. It's for us black/women of color wedding hair style from natural to whatever you can think of. I'm sure you will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! It's amazing all the different styles you go through in life. Some which have worked and some which haven't!

    Send over the website link, will take a look. Love discovering new blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first pic of you is adorable! Awwww look at those cheeks. Delicious, I feel llike eating you up with a knife and fork. But girl how can you go natural only to go back to that creamy mess? Once you go natural aren't you never to go back? Lol, but seriously I love the natural look on you, you look like such a nubian beauty and I find that when women rock the natural look it brings their natural beauty out. Your pretty anyway sis but really I LOVE the natural look on you, you so rock it.
    Lol whats the story behind the bangs being your last encounter?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That first pic of you is adorable! Awwww look at those cheeks. Delicious, I feel llike eating you up with a knife and fork. But girl how can you go natural only to go back to that creamy mess? Once you go natural aren't you never to go back? Lol, but seriously I love the natural look on you, you look like such a nubian beauty and I find that when women rock the natural look it brings their natural beauty out. Your pretty anyway sis but really I LOVE the natural look on you, you so rock it.
    Lol whats the story behind the bangs being your last encounter?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...