"" From Now Till 'I Do'...: Is Perfection Stopping You From Achieving Your Goals?

Is Perfection Stopping You From Achieving Your Goals?

perfection

“Perfection is the mother of procrastination” Michael Hyatt (Platform)

At job interviews whenever they would ask “what are your weaknesses?’ I would always say I am a perfectionist. I would smile inside because I always believed that perfectionism was one of those ‘positive’ weaknesses. I mean come on, it’s good to want things to be right, right?

Not always. My problem is that I will keep working at something even when it is already good enough, to the detriment of other things. I don’t know when, to say “Enough! This is as good as this can get…let’s move on. Or enough…this is the best possible option for this situation…move on”.

I am currently reading Platform by Michael Hyatt and in his book he spends time talking about setting goals, reviewing your goals daily and not allow perfectionism to make you a procrastinator, something I believe I have been doing. 

Presently I am working on a new project and whilst a lot of things have been completed, there are still certain things I need to be doing to move it forward. Are they difficult things? No. Have I done them yet? No.

What are my reasons…well I could give you a whole host, but are they reasons or excuses? The activities I am spending my time doing are not bad in themselves and will need to be done eventually but they are not bringing me closer to achieving my goal and there lies the problem.

Perfectionism can also stop you even starting a project or fulfilling a dream/goal because you fear that it won’t be good enough, or you’ll never be able to do it as good as ‘x’. Again this is something we should fight against and speak against that fear. God hasn’t given us a spirit of fear but of sound mind or as The Message puts it

“God doesn't want us to be shy with his gifts, but bold and loving and sensible” 2 Timothy 1:7.

The same mind-set works with other aspects of life. Waiting for the perfect man to come along. Waiting for the perfect time to get married? Waiting for the perfect time to have a family? Waiting for the perfect time to start your business or change career.  Let me tell you a secret about ‘perfect’…it doesn't exist.

If God has laid something on your heart, go for it. Take that step of faith and see where it leads, (I am talking to myself as well!). Put in the work and trust God.

Believe that He is walking alongside you and don’t allow ‘perfect’ to rob you of your success.

Is perfection stopping you from achieving your goals? Share below in comments.

p.s. thank you for sharing your ‘this time next year’ goals…I will be praying along!

{source}

5 comments:

  1. Great post, I'm actually stck right now on my third books and it's because of all I learnt from the first two, but still...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were the experiences of books one and two negative? The fact that you have written two books, while many of us don't even have one, is a major achievement in itself and should encourage you!

      Delete
  2. This is a great post! I just changed that about myself a few years ago...I am also a bit of a perfectionist but it is so important to set goals so that you can reward yourself instead of being your biggest enemy and continuosly telling yourself that whatever you do is not good enough

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. Writing goals and subsequently achieving them, shows you just how far you have come!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...