"" From Now Till 'I Do'...: ‘The List’ – You know you have one!

‘The List’ – You know you have one!

Kemi from Till My Dying day, wrote a post about 'The "Husband" list'. Every girl has her ‘list’. You know the one, the one you pray to God about before you meet that special someone.

I was looking through an old journal of mine and found ‘my list’.

Oh how I laughed. We girls don’t ask for much do we!

But God is faithful. God also knows us and knows what we need. He then proceeds to bless us with a person who will compliment us, support us, love us, just as HE loves us. If we trust Him and let Him do His thing.

I remember at the time of creating the list, God saying to me 'well that's all good and great, but what about you. You want all these things, but what have you got to offer my son?'. That challenged me and was the start of the change. The change in mindset, the change in thinking, the change in behaviour. I needed to stop 'looking' and just get on with my life. In His own time, God would bring the right man to me. Also if I want to attract the best husband, I need to become the best wife material.

Kemi talks about this in her post. If you want someone who is close to God, you yourself need to be close to God. If you want someone who has good family values, you too need to exhort those values yourself. 'And it's not changing yourself to suit any man, no, but more of finding out more about yourself, and then becoming a better version of you'. 

So for me, one of the main areas of development aside from improving my daily walk with God, was the need to be able to trust others and not depend on myself for everything. I am a very independent person who often thinks, 'yeh whatever I don't need any help'. At that time I thought my life was set; career, house, car, all waiting for a man to slot into the space I had created for him. I had a blueprint for my life and I expected everything {including a man} to better fall in line, or else!

But God rebuke me. 'No. It can't be like that. You can't be the leader in everything, that is not what I have called you to. You need to learn to trust others, work alongside them, support them. Open up your life, open up your heart'. 

'Unless a Lord builds a house, the labourers work in vain' Psalm 127:1

It was at this point when I made the decision to stop being a passenger in life. I looked at my life and start to make changes. I also got involved more in my church and began to serve.


God also challenged me in the area of selfishness and giving. It's easy to call yourself a Christian, but if your actions don't reflect that, you are a poor witness. This is where I would say I have experienced the biggest growth. It hasn't been easy but I'm grateful for the journey God is taking me on, because ultimately it is for his glory.

I have also familiarised myself with my kitchen learning to love the art of cooking and learning to be a home maker. That has surprised me the most as people who know me from back in the day, know that the most I ever did in my kitchen was go to the fridge and leave!

Fast forward and God has blessed me with a wonderful man in Mr E. It is also wonderful to see how He has fulfilled everything on that list.

When Mr E and I met, I knew he was a nice guy, but I liked him more as a friend. As I got to know him and know his personality, I remember telling my mum, 'yeh, he'll make a great husband for some lucky girl'. Little did I know that the lucky girl would me!

21.10.07 My List
1. Man of God, loves Him, Serves Him and has Him number one in his life
2. Family values
3. Professional and hardworking
4. Good dresser
5. Funny
6. Tall {than me}
7. Good with finances
8. Respectful
9. Patient
10. Loving, caring and honourable
11. Willing to try new things
12. Confident without arrogance
13. Attractive to me {but doesn’t know it!}
14. Driven and ambitious
15. A man of integrity
16. Good leader

8 comments:

  1. You really didn't ask for much, LOL. But you're right and Kemi too, whatever you want in a partner, you should be able to match it too.

    BTW, I read Kemi's blog but I cannot comment on it. It must be the template or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just told a friend of mine to write a list. Habbakkuk says to write the vision down so that those who read it can run...I'm waiting on her man to appear now that she's written down God's vision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your list is modest - not too much to ask for.
    I really liked the question "what have you got to offer my son?" And I think I have to ask myself that question even now.

    Concerning commenting on Kemi's post, I agree with Myne. If you can reach her, please tell her to remove the word verification. Instead she can have comment moderation if she wants to control spam comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great feedback ladies. Even after you meet that special someone, the journey continues. I'm still having to continuously refine myself. I liken it to a slab of stone and God is chipping away, chipping away until it reveals a beautiful sculpture.

    I'm far from perfect but it's good to look back and see how far you have come.

    Regarding Kemi's blog, I know!!! I've been trying to contact her about the commenting situation. Hopefully she will read the comments here.

    @ Rita - welcome to the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chichi! I just came by as usual to read updates and saw that one of my posts inspired your post :-) It's nice to know other fab ladies agree with me because "the list" really is something I've found as somewhat of a thread amongst those I know who've found their partners. Most of the time the list is really more about ourselves isn't it?

    About the comments section, please my people help me oh. I've tried to change it and fix it and I don't think it's working. My only solution is keep pressing post comment and it should work the second or third time around. I don't have any comment moderation on and didn't even know there was word verification there. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kemi. A lot of stuff on your blog has inspired me! It's good to be able to find someone who you can relate to in terms of issues during the whole wedding planning processes. Forget flowers, dress and venues - planning a wedding in terms of bring two families together - is not easy!

    On your comments situation, just tried to post a comment. It doesn't give the option to 'post comment'.

    Have a suggestion, try this...

    Blogger Dashboard - Settings - Comments - 'Show word verification for comments'. Choose 'No'.

    Another thing you could do is {still in comments section of settings} 'Comment form placement' - change to 'pop up window'.

    Hope it helps. Let me know when you've done it and I will try and post a comment again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I just started reading your blog and Kemi's blog, Kemi's blog actually inspired me to write my own list and it's funny how about 75% of my list matches up with yours.

    I keep asking myself if there is something wrong with me because I haven't asked for much but it hasn't seemed to happen as of yet but I told God this year, I will cast my cares on Him and leave it there. Your story and Kemi's are an inspiration for me because if it can happen for you and Kemi, I pray it happens for me as well. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chichi {it's nice to meet a fellow chichi!}. Welcome to the blog and thanks for your comment.

    I completely know how you feel. Sometimes we think that God has forgotten about us but all the while He is working things out in the background. God's timing is the best and I know He will bring the right man into your life, at the perfect time.

    p.s. checked out your site - some very cool attire in the store! 'Teacher Don't Teach Me Nonsense' love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...