"" From Now Till 'I Do'...: Engaged without a ring!

Engaged without a ring!

So I'm engaged but I'm not wearing an engagement ring.

This serves two purposes: it stops people asking questions and it starts people asking questions.

You see the ring is the first thing people look for when you tell them that you're engaged. It's as if to say 'Oh, you're engaged - prove it'.
Mr E proposed officially back in December and prior to that we had been talking about rings and I had decided to let him choose it. Just before Christmas, I was having a conversation with my parents about the upcoming engagement and my dad (out of the blue) said, that if he was proposing he couldn't do it with the ring as 'that is not how engagement works in our culture. Your engagement ring is presented to you at the engagement party in front of family, close friends and your spiritual leaders'. Que quick texts to Mr E: ABORT PLAN, ABORT PLAN!

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly disappointed by this but Dad had spoken, so that was how it was to be.

When I thought about how it would happen, I had always pictured this Hollywood style proposal like you see in the films and so wondered what Mr E would plan. I am not the easiest person to surprise (as Mr E knows) and I have a tendency to know what is going on before it is happens. However on this occasion he did his utmost to ensure that I was completely in the dark.
Over Christmas Mr E had his cousins come over to stay, so up until that point we hadn't really spent any one on one time together. That day, he told me that I would need to be ready for 6pm as he was taking me out. No guidance on dress code (now a girl needs a dress code!) except to 'just look nice'.

6pm came and we drove for about an hour arriving in Stratford Upon Avon. Now if you have never been to Stratford Upon Avon, it's a fantastic town – home of Mr Shakespeare, full of history (and great shops!). Mr E and I had dinner at a wonderful Thai Restaurant where we spent the evening talking about ‘the journey’ and reminiscing about the old times. We had just finished dinner and were waiting for our dessert to come. All of a sudden a particular song started to play in the restaurant, our song. Now because prior to this, the restaurant had been playing chilled out Thai music all evening, it should have been obvious something was up. Dumb as I was, I was like 'hey hun, that's our song!' and he was like 'oh, yes it is', being all coy.

The version below is our favourite version as sang by Leona Lewis 2007 X Factor winner, but the original is by Minnie Riperton.


The waitress brought over our dessert and then Mr E got up, took the box that was hidden in one of the dishes and got down on one knee. At this moment, I was mortified (in a good way!). It was a feeling of shocked happiness, realising what was happening but not quite believing it.


His words to me were (I only remember this, because he wrote it down for me after, in my wedding book):

'Darling, I have always known that there's one woman for every man, one Queen for every kingdom. From the moment you stole my heart, I have waited for this moment to say these words.


I love you, I love you with all my heart.

Will you marry me?'

I think my words back were 'yes, yes I will, you know I will'.  



Now because I knew I wasn't getting a ring until said engagement party, I was slightly intrigued as to what was in his box. Mr E opened it and inside were a set of sapphire earrings. His words were, 'well I couldn't exactly propose without bringing something'. 
They were beautiful - Mr E, you shouldn't have!

Me with a 'I am very happy' smile and a very happy Mr E after the proposal!
So, I'm engaged but I'm not wearing an engagement ring...for now!

How many ladies out there got ‘engaged’ without the ring?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks! Love the cakes on your blog. You're really talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *wipes tear* Kleenex pls, I think Mr E's proposal was so sweet! I know one or two people that got rings later on so I guess it's not a big deal... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the post, it can be nice to have an engagement ring, a noce diamond or sapphire or even a watch. It reflects the commitment but I suppose its only tradition. Hope its still going great for you as you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awwwwwww how lovely - i remember my dad's comments a few days later saying.. i can see you are wearing a ring... lol kinda like err you shouldnt be.. lol but i got it. a part of me wished i waited though but i guess the grass is always greener on the other side

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...