"" From Now Till 'I Do'...: Solving the puzzle

Solving the puzzle

puzzle

Back when I was seven or eight, I remember entering this competition at school. We were split into teams, where I was a team leader and we had to work together in groups to solve these puzzles in the fastest time.

The clock started I remember attempting to do all the puzzles myself. My other team mates were around me, but I recall not allowing them to do anything and wanting to do the whole thing myself.

Consequently our team lost the competition and my parents pulled me to one side afterwards to explain a few life lessons; namely around teamwork and delegation.  They told me that we were in teams for a purpose and that if I had shared the tasks out and included everyone in the team, we would have had a more successful result. Equally as team leader it was my job delegate and not do everything myself. Completing the puzzle in itself was not wrong, but I was not effective on my own.

That lesson has stuck with me to this day.

Earlier this week I was studying my bible and came across the the story of Moses and Jethro in Exodus 18.

Jethro was visiting his son-in-law Moses and observed a few things. Day and night Moses would sit in a certain place and the Israelite people would present their cases to him for him to solve. This was obviously time consuming and was beginning to take its toll on Moses. Jethro noticed this and asked…

" Why are you the only judge? Why do you let these people crowd around you from morning till evening?"

15Moses answered, " Because they come here to find out what God wants them to do. 16They bring their complaints to me, and I make decisions on the basis of God's laws."

17Jethro replied: That isn't the best way to do it. 18You and the people who come to you will soon be worn out. The job is too much for one person; you can't do it alone. 19God will help you if you follow my advice. You should be the one to speak to God for the people, 20and you should teach them God's laws and show them what they must do to live right.

21You will need to appoint some competent leaders who respect God and are trustworthy and honest. Then put them over groups of ten, fifty, a hundred, and a thousand. 22These judges can handle the ordinary cases and bring the more difficult ones to you. Having them to share the load will make your work easier. 23This is the way God wants it done. You won't be under nearly as much stress, and everyone else will return home feeling satisfied.

24Moses followed Jethro's advice

What I like about this dialogue is that Jethro identified the problem, provided counsel to Moses and Moses listened and took his advice. Call it the first lesson in the art of delegation.

Being able to delegate is the sign of a good leader but also a wise person. Sometimes we may not see the need to delegate, but those around us who we respect will identify this and tell us.

The ability to trust others to complete the task in hand so that you can focus on the bigger picture is so important in being successful both in your personal and working life. Some people get this, some people don’t.

Delegation also requires humility. Moses could have got angry with Jethro’s suggestion, telling him that he was fine to continue as he is, but he put aside his pride and listened. He was able to let go and release authority to others, while still remaining in control and it didn’t make him any less of a leader. In fact it improved the situation no end. 

I suspect that these first few weeks (even months) of motherhood will definitely require me to put aside my pride and allow others to help me. It will require me to listen to those around me who I trust when they tell me to slow down/take a break/not be too hard on myself (*delete as appropriate). It doesn’t mean I can’t do the task in hand but rather it makes sense to allow others to do it or take a step back.

Letting go and delegating…so important.

Image {via}

11 comments:

  1. A well written article and more importantly full of some valuable life's lessons. I agree delegation is very important and encourages team work. However, sometimes people hide under the guise of delegation to lump work on other people, which in itself is wrong. I guess striking a balance and knowing when to delegate would be more helpful.

    Thanks for stopping by on my blog and I'm your latest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the blog!

      In those circumstances it is wrong and should be called out. A true leader would not do that. It definitely is about balance and knowing when to make that choice becomes easier with experience.

      Delete
  2. Love this,specially the part about humiliity! Humiility itself is something the LORD has been teaching me of late. I believe the lesson of this post also applies to ALL areas in one's life. A great scripture that comes to mind right now is 1 Corinthians 12:12-27, however I want to just highlight verses 12 and 21 as they are highlighted in my bible

    verse 12 "The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body."

    verse 21 "The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!"

    Isn't God amazing in the way that He has designed things?! :)
    Proverbs 18:2 describes a person who always thinks he/she knows best as a fool.

    On another note, not long to go now huh?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God IS amazing and His wisdom far surpasses any human understanding.

      Delete
  3. Let me be like proper naija woman. Madam you don born? LOL...

    This is a very important message and really for all times in life. Sending you warm wide hugs and happy thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No baby yet oh! Today is her due date, so I'm guessing she wants to be late!

      Delete
  4. Great posts...

    I learnt today.... nice verse as well for illustration...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well written post. I also liked the short note you made to yourself concerning the first few months after baby girl arrives. Delegation is important and it does not make you less of a mom or that you can't take care of her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a chronic perfectionist and one who rarely trusts others with "important" stuff, I can completely relate. It's a continuous conscious effort I have to make to entrust things to other people and, most importantly, not fret when they don't do it the way I would have done it. I remember reading this chapter a few weeks back also and being so surprised at how clearly this was a delegation principle (I hadn't read much of the Bible until recently, totally wasn't expecting such a a relevant principle).

    I particularly love how you tied this back to your current stage in life actually... writing tip to borrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "It takes a whole village to raise a child" :) Just remembered that one now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delegation is very important indeed. It saves you time, energy and adds value to the people you are delegating power/authority to.

    On a side note, not all advice you will get as a new mum will be good for you. It might have come from a genuine heart, but it may not necessarily work for you. The key is being able to filter and make use of the good ones and learn.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...