"" From Now Till 'I Do'...: Delia eat your heart out!

Delia eat your heart out!

I have tasked myself with learning a new dish every month on my journey to becoming more domestic (read: wife like). There is no better accomplishment than making a really tasty meal from scratch and I’m really enjoying it.

September I learnt how to make Bombay potatoes, October was Fried Rice and November is Beans with plantain. Between recipes online and my mum on the end of the phone, I haven’t faired too badly!

In addition for this month, I also decided to make a cake as well as some cupcakes!

Here are the results! P.S. They all passed the taste test, I’m pleased to say!

Beans (made from Black eyed beans)  - served with rice and stew and plantain

The dark bit to the top right is the bottom of the pot (slightly burnt!). It was enjoyed so much that that was all that was left when I came to take the picture.

P1050814

Sponge Cake

P1050815

P1050816

Look how lovely and moist it turned out! Really impressed. One thing I noticed was how sweet it was, so I will be reducing the amount of sugar used next time.

Cupcakes

P1050821

P1050818

These babies looked better pre-iced! - my icing skills are a lot to be desired! I made it up okay, but applying the icing to the cakes was a different matter. Definitely need some more practice.

Will be learning in coming months:

  • Yam Porridge
  • Carrot Cake
  • Moi moi
  • Egusi Soup (have made it once, but will be doing it again)
  • Ogbono soup
  • Pepper soup
  • Lasagne
  • Brownies
  • Chicken Biriyani
  • Curry from scratch (not a Patak’s jar!)
  • Quiche
  • Apple crumble
  • Chocolate cake
  • Flapjack
  • Cheesecake {yummy!}
  • Dhal

Some of the above are Nigerian staples, which once mastered can make a meal for a few days.

I’m also keen to learn any good dinner dishes from other cultures so, if you have a good recipe you would like me to try, let me know!

1 comment:

  1. That looks soooo good! That sponge cake! Man! You will be a great wife. I was just telling someone the other day to practice up on their cooking skills (because she wants a husband so bad). I have an excellent recipe for carrot cake. I make it so much and it's requested from my family ALL THE TIME, lol. If you want it, let me know. I saw quiche on the list too. I LOVE QUICHE! Go girl!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...