"" From Now Till 'I Do'...: Any advice for single girls?

Any advice for single girls?

This question was sent to me via Formspring and I thought it would be good to share the answer.

In addition to all the things I mentioned on my '7 things to do while you're waiting'' post, here are a couple of extra things I would say:

(1) Live your life - enjoy your single years and don't go looking. It's a cliché, but he WILL find you, in his own good time.

(2) Develop your 'wifey' skills e.g. If you want to develop your culinary skills, now is the time - where mistakes don't really matter as much!. Spend time leading a Sunday School class at church or babysitting if you want to develop your maternal skills etc

(3) Guard your heart - ensure that a man defines your relationship with him, before you commit your heart to him {future post on this coming up}. As women we can so often assume things that are not there. Seek advice/guidance from your parents, Pastor or more experience person if you're not sure.

(4) Fill your mind with the truth: I read {and continue to read} many great books. Ones that helped me include:
* Secrets of an Irresistible Woman - Michelle McKinney Hammond
* In search of the Proverbs 31 Man - Michelle McKinney Hammond
* Get Married: What Women Can Do to Help It Happen - Candice Watters


Of course the Bible is the book of truth on all matters of life.

(5) Don't beat yourself up if you make mistakes, we all do. Just pick yourself up, ask God for forgiveness and start again.

(6) Develop your own walk with God and pray lots - I can't stress how important this is. I grew up in a Christian home, but it wasn't until I got to university that I developed my own personal relationship with God and I love it. A great book that helped me on prayer is: Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be With God by Bill Hybels

(7) Finally, Surround yourself with great girlfriends; married and single.

'As iron sharpens iron, so one {wo}man sharpens another' Proverbs 27:17.

I have some fantastic girlfriends who have been there throughout the whole singleness journey and continue to support now as I get ready to be wife.

It's great and also important to have someone you can be honest with, accountable to and share the highs and the lows of life. In addition someone who will pray for and with you.

Loving the questions - Keep them coming!

6 comments:

  1. Another lovely list.
    Advice: Live you life while you wait for the guy. cos at times He might not just come early so don't put you dreams and aspirations on hold till the guy comes or dont just tie it to a relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this encouragement. While I'm lucky enough to be married, I know some of my best friends struggle to wait. My best friend just told me a sort of saying she heard. "He's just stuck in traffic and I need to be patient and pray he gets though it."

    P.S. I LOVE 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman in your sidebar. It's one of my favorites that I refer to constantly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment Michelle - 'stuck in traffic', I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good advice NBB.
    Thanks for the get post Chichi. It always helps to get pointers time and time again because the waiting is often not easy. I am looking forward to reading some of the books you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would add: be open to the idea of sharing your life. Don't be all "I can do bad by myself!"...because you will.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...