"" From Now Till 'I Do'...: 'Confessions of a Shopaholic'

'Confessions of a Shopaholic'



Saw this yesterday - what a great film! Isla Fisher played the part of Rebecca Bloomwood fantastically. For those of you who haven't read the book, it is based on 'The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic' by Sophie Kinsella.

I have read the book (and all the others in the series) and after watching the trailer I was slightly concerned that the film wouldn't do the book justice. But I was pleasantly surprised and sis and I really enjoyed the film, laughing throughout.

It did make me think about my own shopping habits and whilst I can safely say that I'm not at risk of having to attend 'shopaholics anonymous' anytime soon, the film did touch on some serious issues something that is discussed in this article.

I admit sometimes I have bought things to make myself feel better and whilst you do feel better it is only a temporary feeling. Other times I have bought something because 'I just had to have it' even though at home, I have several variations of the same thing (how many pink lip glosses does a girl really need!). I have found magazines in particular to be a huge influence on my spending habits, which is why I stopped buying a lot of fashion magazines a year ago. One minute you're perfectly happy with the things you own and then half an hour after reading one of these glossies, you start planning your next visit the High Street. Don't get me wrong these magazines are not 'bad' per se, but you have to approach them with your eyes wide open and not feeel we have to 'keep up with the Jones'. 

The ten commandments give us a good indication of how God feels on the whole thing; Commandment number 10: 'No lusting after your neighbour's house—or wife or servant or maid or ox or donkey. Don't set your heart on anything that is your neighbour's' Exodus 20:17

OK, so my neighbour doesn't have a donkey, but you get the idea.

Readers, what can we do practically, to help ourselves not become overly influenced by society's materialistic pressures - answers on a postcard please (or in the comments box below)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...