"" From Now Till 'I Do'...: Not pretty enough

Not pretty enough

The wedding industry has a lot to answer for.

Besides the incessant pressure it places on you to have that wedding, you know the one I mean, straight out of The Knot or Martha Stewart Weddings. It also shows unrealistic images of how a typical bride should look or be.

Liene over at Think Splendid wrote a great post about Online Marketing and the Plus Size Bride

What are your views? I know Dawn over at Happy Nappy Bride continues to vent about the lack of black representation in wedding magazines. I couldn’t agree more.

What are your views on the blogs/magazines of vendors, photographers in particular who only show their most ‘beautiful’ work? Would that make you want to work with them?

I would love to see weddings of people from all races, all sizes because that is a true representation.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

4 comments:

  1. You know now that you mention it, I've never seen a black bride in all these wedding magazines. Maybe there's a black women version somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you have to create your own reality. They can't cater to everybody especially what they are not familiar/comfortable with.

    I haven't stopped by your blog in a bit so I'm playing catch up, I hope the wedding venue frustration has eased up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @chichi

    I wish wedding magazines could be more diverse for real, I noticed it too and thought the same thing. The truth of the matter is that the owners of this magazine companies are in it for the profit and don't really care about their minority readers. They have a wide variety of readers but believe that it is a certain demographic of "rich/middle" class white women that buy their stuff and won't like to see other races represented. It's all a game and it's a very sad game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Homie GFunk - if there is a black version, I've never seen it!

    @Chichi - I agree to an extent, but that means 'we' need to stand up and take ownership and put out our own publications.

    @Yakeenaijababe - totally agree. It's the same with hair shops. Black women spend so much more on their hair than our white counterparts but all our hair shops are owned and run by Asians or white people. 'WE' need to represent.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...