"" From Now Till 'I Do'...: Hairspiration + Going Natural

Hairspiration + Going Natural

 

So last month I went in for the Big Chop (BC), were I got my hairdresser to cut off all of my relaxed bits and leave me with my natural hair. I had taken out my kinky twists and realised that I had more natural hair than relaxed and that this would be a good a time as any to restart the natural hair journey again.

This isn’t the first time I have done the BC. I did it once before when I was at university but ended up going back to relaxer, {see point 1 below} as I found it too difficult to manage. This time round, I am determined to learn how to take care of my natural hair. I also want to be confident in this, so that I can educate my daughter on how to look after her natural hair too.

So far I am enjoying my new hair journey, although it does require a bit more thought and time in the daily maintenance. However I am sure as time goes by I will get a lot quicker and comfortable with my routine.

 

If you’re thinking of going natural here are some tips:

1. Educate yourself and do your research. There is so much information available now that there are no excuses for not knowing what to do. The reason I ended up going back to the cremey crack after my last BC was that I didn’t know how to take care of my natural hair. There was little information around about how to take care of it, even visiting my local hairdresser, she didn’t know what to do either. In the end I went back to relaxed hair as it was ‘easier’.

2. Prepare yourself mentally. Natural hair is nothing like relaxed hair. My hair has a lot of shrinkage and is quite curly. It is not sleek like when I had relaxed hair and I look different with my natural hair (it accentuates my facial features more}. I prepared myself for this and try to make sure that I still look put together.

3. If you can’t bear to part with your long hair, transitioning is good. If you are used to having long hair and go in for the BC which results in very short hair, it can be quite a change emotionally so prepare yourself and transition slowly.

3. Don’t buy loads of new products as you may already have a lot of good stuff in your house. For example extra virgin olive oil, which I use on both my hair and my daughter’s hair, is readily available from our kitchen, as is honey which I use for pre-poos and the most important ingredient in maintaining hair moisture, our very own H2O, is available on tap (excuse the pun) for ‘free’.

This time round I am also trying to use as much natural products as possible and so am using lots of oils and shea butter {courtesy of one of my dear Ghanaian friends}. I still have regular moisturisers and butters but prefer my natural ingredients.

4. Don’t buy loads of expensive products either. Try and get a sample first to see if it works for you. What works for one might not work for you and you don’t want to waste your money. Right now I am loving Tresemme Naturals Moisture Conditioner. It’s like £4, is free from all the nasty stuff and my hair drinks it up.

5. Finally don’t compare your hair to others. Learn to love your hair and learn how to take care of it.

 

Useful Info:

natural hair rules

Hair sites:

 

You Tubers – my favs

 michelle obama natural

{image source}

6 comments:

  1. if you are looking for styles for your daughter...i saw this amazing blog and thought you might find it useful too. http://beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok...this is very useful info. thanx a lot. I'd love to see your hair now though...I thought you'd put up a photo for us to see. I started my journey as well, and shea butter is really a magical oil. its all good though...regards to the hubby and the princess. cheers and God bless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Chichi, thank for this info..

    Am planning on going natural before the end or towards the end of this year by HIS grace.

    I know, I need all the information possible.

    Thank you hun...

    now mentally embracing myself for the journey but first.... will try and do all the short hairstyles for this current hair.. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. how did i miss this post.??

    welcome back to the natural side of life...didnt realise you were going natural till I saw you at Church the other day. it suits you well... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an informative and empowering post. You made me think twice before undergoing a rebond for my wavy hair. Those sites are helpful too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...