"" From Now Till 'I Do'...: In My Kitchen: Chin Chin

In My Kitchen: Chin Chin

So last night we decided to open a couple of our wedding presents and whip up a Nigerian delicacy.

Mr E and I were craving chin chin and having made numerous trips to our local African store spending lots of cash there this past two weeks, I decided to scour the internet to find a recipe I could make for us both.

I love my chin chin and especially like it hard and crunchy. The recipe I found was very easy to follow.

  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • vegetable oil
  • confectioners' sugar

Normally when I find a recipe in US format I have to convert to Metric but our Joseph Joseph Nest 8 did it for me. It had lots of measuring cups 1/2 cup right down to 1/4 and it made it so easy for me to measure everything out. {One of my favourite wedding gifts!}

The whole thing took about 2 hours to make, include prep and frying and they definitely turned out crunchy but not as hard as I would have personally liked.

  • Combine flour, sugar, and baking powder in medium bowl.
  • Stir in egg and milk until mixture is crumbly.
  • With hands, work in butter until well blended.
  • Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.

In My Kitchen - Chin Chin

  • In heavy skillet over medium heat, heat 1 inch of oil to 365 degrees F. {I used a deep fryer for this step}
  • On lightly floured board with floured rolling pin, roll out half of dough to 1/16 inch thickness.

In My Kitchen - Chin Chin

  • With pastry cutter or sharp knife, cut dough into strips, then squares
  •  In My Kitchen - Chin Chin

  • Repeat with remaining dough until gone.
  • Fry a few pieces at a time in hot oil until golden; drain on paper towels; cool.
  • In My Kitchen - Chin Chin

    Voila!

    In My Kitchen - Chin Chin 

    My husband’s verdict? First class!

    fromnowtillido Signature

    9 comments:

    1. hooray on the chin chin.

      I can't wait to try this recipe too! : ) Although I do have a lovely Sierra Leonean cookbook that was passed onto me... will be great to compare the making process.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Mmmm...I love chin chin...if I wasn't so lazy I'd make it a couple of times a year.

      Your final product looks quite good...feel free to send me a sample please!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I'm not really a fan of Chin Chin but judging by your pictures, they look ace!
      I can see your settling into your new role nicely :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. yummy chinchin..will give it a try sometime..love it.

      ReplyDelete
    5. It certainly looks first class...I'll try the recipe out soon...

      ReplyDelete
    6. That looks good!

      P.s. Sorry I've been away. Catching up today!

      ReplyDelete
    7. I'm eating this right now!!!
      rrrreally 1st class!
      thanks for the recipe !

      ReplyDelete
    8. Sorry am just stumbling on ur post now. Hmmm, luks fresh n yummy! If ur chin chin is still soft n u want it hard n crunchy, dont put bakin powder @ all.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Nice. Please did you fry the chin chin with a deep fryer?

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...