"" From Now Till 'I Do'...: Weekend wedding love: Remembering the end game

Weekend wedding love: Remembering the end game

Toks and Semi - Jide Alakija

Here is something I wrote a couple of weeks back, when I was having a bit of a rough day. Sometimes through it all, you need to remember the end game!

The Road to Marriage…

The road to marriage is hard. There are fights, there are tears, there are laughs, there are more fights. This whole period of time is about evolving, taking two very separate people and making them one.

There are bits of my personality that are coming out which I don’t like. I mean who is this person I see in the mirror. Sometimes I don’t recognise her.

The road to marriage opens old wounds, old hurts, old regrets. Things I thought had gone away, come back to the surface. Never forgotten, but gone away and it has be incredibly scary having to face them again.

The road to marriage has helped me appreciate so many things that before I didn’t really notice or even pay attention to before.  In sickness and in health, For richer for poorer. Till Do us part. How real these words are to me, right now.

The road to marriage is highlighting to me that it is no longer about me, but it is about us. Wedding starts with ‘we’ right!

The road to marriage is about redefining boundaries. Boundaries with your parents, boundaries with your friends, boundaries with each other. My love for my family has not changed but my loyalties have to and that has been hard. Marriage is about building a new family and just like a new baby it needs to be nurtured, taken cared of and protected.

The road to marriage is not what I expected. It isn’t always smiles. It can be incredibly frustrating. I have cried. I have laughed. You have to compromise and you have to pick your battles. It’s also not about taking sides but about doing what is right, for us.

On the road to marriage, it can be so easy to forgot why we’re doing all this.

I know it will be worth it in the end.

Have a great weekend!

Photo {Jide Alakija}

Signature

11 comments:

  1. I totally agree! It's like marriage practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that, almost written as a poem....is it a poem?
    Anyway its good that you have your eyes open because many have entered into marriage with their eyes closed and some still are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well expressed and very true.
    I agree marriage is a bitter sweet experience, there are easy times and difficult times. But like you said, in the end it is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww, i know the girl in the photo from uni! so lovely and so beautiful - inside and out! yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well true marriage has it ups and downs but I guess how much of each depends on u and ur commitment....
    I believe Marriage can have so many wonderful moments compared to the little challenges......
    For me marriage has brought out the best in me, made me grow spritually and know how to love selflessly......

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was excellent. I sent it to my FH (future husband)...This engagement period has been quite trying at times but I have to agree with HappyNappy, it's very much like marriage practice and I'm grateful for the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully written and soooo true!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chichi, while I've learned lots from this post, its actually scary. I mean the truths in it. You mean all the buried past will be awaken? You mean, boundaries have to be redefined? You mean its could be frustrating, capable of bringing tears.. oh my! I thought it'd just be fun all the way.

    Thanks for sharing.

    - LDP

    ReplyDelete
  9. So so true. Love that photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. v.v.true...I'm engaged as well and my fiancee & i have had to work out a lot of issues..I have had to face some things about myself I thought wasn't me or wouldn't have liked to face but we are grateful for God's luv tht teaches us to love. thx for always being real!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for a frank and honest piece on marriage. It takes works for anything to turn out good, marriage is no exception.

    Check out My "Before I Do" series on marriage. A must if you are getting married.

    http://bukville.com/2010/02/18/the-truth-about-marriage-your-married-friends-are-not-telling-you/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...