"" From Now Till 'I Do'...: Relationship Role Models

Relationship Role Models

So, all last week the news has been filled with stories of John Terry who is the captain of the England football team. It is alleged that he cheated on his wife with the girlfriend of one of his team mates, to add insult to injury he got his mistress pregnant, and then paid for her to have an abortion, all the while paying her off to silence her from selling her story to the papers. On Friday he was stripped of his captaincy.

Some people have disagreed with this and have said, what has his personal life got to do with football. I believe the decision taken by the England Coach was the right one.

John Terry is in a position of influence, many young boys {and girls} look up to him, see what he does and emulate. He is a deemed a ‘role model’. Terry’s decision to renege on his marriage vows, whilst a personal choice, {which he tried to keep private}, was made very public by the position he holds.

They appear to have it all. Great careers, great wives, great families and lots of money, but even all of that doesn’t seem to be enough for them. Terry {and Tiger Woods} have made a mockery of their marriage vows by choosing to put their selfish desires over their wives and family. I can only imagine how their wives must feel.

Too many times we hear the same story, man cheats on wife, wife cheats on husband. It’s just awful.

Everyone has that couple who they look up to. You see them, they’re so in love, so made for each other. Everything looks great. Could anything possibly go wrong?

Next thing you hear, they are getting a divorce. It sends shock waves. What happened!

If it can happen to them, can it happen to us?

janiston6

I remember when Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston broke up. Yes I know that they are not Christians, but they were one of those couples that looked ‘perfect’. When they announced that they were getting a divorce it was disappointing. If they couldn’t make it work in Hollywood, who can.

obamas slideshow-13

Nowadays the Obama’s are that couple for me. Their story is interesting to read, the sacrifices made, the ups, the downs. They don’t strike me a couple who would head down to the divorce courts should the going get tough.

Well at least I hope not.

Which couple do you admire {famous or non-famous} and conversely which couple has disappointed you the most?

{pictures from here and here}

Valentines Day is less than a week away - don’t forget to share your stories of love!

11 comments:

  1. I agree about the Obamas...I appreciate that they're real about their lives. That it hasn't always been perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are doing such a wonderful job. I am thankful I found your blog. I found you from Rita's "From the Heart of a loving Father" blog. Indeed, it saddens my heart when I hear about marriage break ups. I once heard about a statistics tht the divorce rate in this decade alone supercedes any other decade in history. The data is even projected to increase... Hmmm

    My ideal couple. My Mum and Dad. They have been through, thick, tough and thin but they've stayed together. They've never had to separate for any reason. While both of them are pastors, I still feel they are together cos God helped them to and they understand what love really means. I pray that my marriage (later in life) would not fail.

    Thanks. I'm now following your blog. Pls check out mine when you can :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents are also my model. I saw all they've been through and they're no hollywood couple or celebrities or rich people. I thank God for their lives together and pray for them for even more years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are so cute. thank you for your sincere comment yesterday. let's promise not to be stale and fake ok?? and i haven't achieved that much, don't worry... ;) have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My role model were my grandparents, they were married for over 50years, until they each died. I love your smile. Its cute. Hope wedding plans are going well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all great, keep them coming!

    @ Le Dynamique Professeur - welcome to the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Le Dynamique Professeur

    I can't access your blog. Please can you send me a link.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love the obamas. Their story seems so real and kinda like a reminder that a real marriage goes through different phases and has its different struggles but in all just keep your eye on the prize, keep working at it. I must say they inspire Bolaji and myself a lot.

    Also my grandparents who were 10 years apart in age, married late for their time (25 and 35) but were married for 57 years. When my grandma died, my grandfather still slept on his side of the bed till he moved! They were GREAT examples.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, I am sorry. I can't understand what's wrong with the link. Here is the link anyway http://dynamiqueprofesseur.blogspot.com

    I appreciate you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow Chichi, I'm only just coming across this post of yours. I totally agree!

    My parents are undergoing divorce proceedings and are currently separated, however though not role-models per say, through all the wahala which was what my parents marriage was made of, observing their marriage has actually prepared me for my own when the times comes. Infact I don't think observing a 'perfect couple' would've had this much effect on me as my parent's marriage. I truly say this without any bitterness. What was ugly, God has actually made into something beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Purpleicious Babe (DOZ)26 March 2011 at 18:54

    Personally, I don't have any role models. I have never experienced or enjoy the marriage of my parents or either of my grand-parents.

    In short, I don't know of any particular marriages in my line family that I can hold onto and say yes it is strong apart from one of my distant Uncle but am not close to him so I don't know anything about their marriage.(Wow, writing this just made me realize that have never actually experienced a first hand marriage, but I will with my own. Amen)

    However, God has been my role model, I have read and understood the emphasis God places on marriage how JESUS taught marriage. Other influences in my life has also encouraged me to be a role model for myself, children and generations. Thus, every yoke of separation is broken in my family and generation.

    Through his excellent and unfailing love I believe myself and my husband will have a wonderful marriage. I also want my husband to come from a home where both parents have a successful marriage and are present in his life. Although, it not a big deal for me, I still believe that having experience with both parents teaches things you certain things you might not learn from a lone parent, I know God has and still teaching me all that there is to know concerning life and marriage.

    I do believe in the joy of marriage,am sure there are various circumstances why some marriages fail. But I believe with God all things are possible, there is much more to marriage than Love... Love is one of many factors I believe makes a marriage a success... There are so many things and much more people that have had successful marriages cannot tell u all, until u go through urs. I am confident
    that as long as God is our bedrock, we have made it, even before the trials and tribulations (faith is talking).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love hearing from my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...